March 2018 – Minutes


March 1, 2018

Present were: Don, Keren, Kathy, Sharon, Wendy, Jan and Chenoweth.

Meeting was called to order at 2:00 by President Don.

The minutes of the January meeting were tabled, since Chenoweth forgot to bring them. She will email them to the members, and they will be approved at the next meeting.

Jan gave the treasurer’s report. The report will be modified due to $19.36 being received from Amazon Smile and the fact that she does not yet have the bank statement. Treasurer’s report was accepted as presented.

Old Business:

The board approved the appointment of Sharon McCoy and Kim Sweet. Jan moved and Wendy seconded the motion to have them join the Board.

Fundraising was discussed. Don said that his goal is to talk to at least 2 people each month regarding donations. He met with Cascade Pacific Pulp and they are will to help. They will have to get approval from their corporate headquarters. He also gave a presentation to the Chamber of Commerce, and they made a donation.

Keren reported that she had visited with Meals on Wheels in order to write an article about their program. The article will be in The Times, but at a later date, since there was a recent article on the new director. She is planning on writing articles on all grant recipients, and the approach was discussed. It was thought that the majority of the emphasis should be on CLCF in order for people to become more aware of us.

The Calapooia Food Alliance changed their 2017 grant, as discussed at the January meeting.

Keren discussed her proposed fundraising program, which includes the following:

  1. Establish brand loyalty by using stickers, logo, membership benefits, etc.
  2. Give people a reason they should open up their checkbooks by having an annual fund drive, having a fundraising goal, sponsor a child’s snack pack for a year, offer gifts or enter them into sweepstakes, etc.
  3. Make it easy to give by being able to give online with the opportunity to give to specific causes. Since PayPal doesn’t allow changes to the amount given, maybe invest in a web service that is more flexible. During campaign local businesses could support us by hosting a change box,

As another reason for people to open their checkbooks, Kathy brought up memorial donations.

Fundraising will be discussed at our next meeting.

Keren will write an article regarding a design contest to come up with a new logo. She will put an article in the paper. Keren moved that we have the contest with a deadline for submission on April 30th, and Jan seconded the motion. Motion passed.

New Business:

Grants were discussed. We have received applications from the Gleaners, and from the Food Alliance. Don will forward applications as he receives them.

Wendy will make a list of duties that need to be covered for the May 30th event and will have the list at the next meeting.

Next meeting will be April 5h.

Meeting adjourned at 3:00.

Respectfully submitted,

Chenoweth Robertson